»

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

My master bedroom decor

You may or may not know this about me but I'm a huge fan of interior decorating. It's a passion for me really. I love decorating my home because it's so fun for me; especially when I make things or get things for a slammin' deal.

The last room that hadn't been decorated in our home {besides the laundry room and that probably won't happen} was our master bedroom. Not very many people go into our bedroom so it's been put on the back burner for years. I decided I needed to start it.
Several months ago I started a master bedroom makeover! Boy, did it need it!
It's not 100% complete but it's getting there. I never got around to posting what I've done...
but today you get a peek of some of the decor.

I knew I wanted our bedroom to be a lovely, romantic place for Warren and I to have of our own.
One of the most romantic things that came to mind is our wedding. {It really was a beautiful wedding and I enjoyed that day very much.} The photographs of that day were taken by my wonderful father-in-law and they turned out great.
So, I decided to have black and white wedding photos all around our bedroom.

The color theme wasn't definite until I came across a bed set I adored so much I couldn't resist. I couldn't afford to get it right away but I eventually did and I'm so pleased with it. As you can see below- black and red became the theme colors. {I also used cream and white.}
And really, how romantic is RED?


The wall above our bed needed help. We don't have a headboard so I found an idea to make a bed look more grand then it is: A curtain rod and curtains.
For my 'tie-backs' I used these glass candle- type holders my mom gave me. I added red potpourri inside them for color contrast. I also bought this black mirror at a thrift store that I thought was perfect for in between the curtains.

I should of taken a separate picture of this but I forgot...
If you can spy my night stand on the right side of the above photo- you can see some red vases peeking out. Currently we have 8 of them in different sizes and shapes. I think they're awesome and unique. Every time Warren or I go to a thrift store we look for red vases to add to our collection.

I made a framed collage using scrapbook paper, elements and some of our wedding photos.
{The quote on the collage reads: "Grow old with me the best is yet to be."} :


A medium sized clock that I decorated using scrapbook paper, a plastic circle that's a pre-made clock with quote and a wedding photo.
{The quote on the clock reads: "Life is not measured in minutes...but moments."} :



A large single frame that I added scrapbook paper, vinyl and a wedding photo:



A multi- picture frame of our wedding and engagement photos.
{I added the double flower with a rhinestone in the middle to the outside of the glass.}:



A wall hanging made with a small curtain rod, ribbon and frames of wedding photos.
{The frames are actually hanging and not against the wall as it may look.} :



A large swirly multi- picture frame that I put coordinating scrapbook paper in:



Four medium painting canvas' I covered with scrapbook paper and ribbon.
{Two are above my night stand and two are above Warren's night stand.}:



This large metal swirl is hung above empty wall space. A giant framed collage of wedding photos I need to finish will go there:



This is a giant canvas picture I fell in love with and bought:


I'm not finished decorating our bedroom. I didn't paint the walls for one because I'm not sure what I want to do as far as paint goes yet. I need to finish the giant collage first.
Down the road I'd like to buy a black computer Armour since my computer is in our bedroom. Also, I'd like to get a black, over stuffed Lazy Boy for reading/ rocking baby.

Right now I have plain black curtains for my window treatment. I don't particularly like the way it looks so I didn't take a picture to show. I want to find a way to make it look better- maybe add a 'layer' look with some red.

I'll post more things I do as I complete them- especially the giant collage.

What is your master bedroom decorated like?

5 Royal Remarks:

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Love what you're doing with the black and white theme. I'm decorating challenged, so my master bedroom (as well as the rest of my house) could use some serious help. But I love seeing what other people are doing.

The Unexpected Journey said...

Autumn, You are amazing!!! I could never do all that, but may I steel and idea?

Autumn said...

Becky-
You may steal any idea because I usually stole them from somewhere I've seen! haha

I make a lot of things or I buy things at thrift stores and paint them. I don't buy everything brand new so I can stay in budget. But there are some things you just can't resist and just have to buy them when you see them! Like my big canvas of calla lilies and my bed set. I just HAD to buy those.

Shantel said...

I really like the curtains above the bed. Great idea.
Joel and I just bought our house in May, and we are starting a kitchen renovation next month. My master bedroom is a hodgepodge of a piece of baby furniture, a few pictures that are still waiting to be hung up from the move, and our bed that broke,(moving it - not moving us) and was repaired VERY obviously by Joel. BUT i did get the comforter I wanted.I doesn't go with anything in the room, but I love it, so who cares.
Maybe sometime in the next five years, I will get around to that room. Your work is really great.
Keep updates on your precalmpsia - that can be so scary!

Tristi Pinkston said...

I need to hire you to get up here and do my room! My room is only sort of done. I painted and did a border, and that's as far as I got. You've got mad skills!