»

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Journal Jar

Looking back in your life, is there something that makes you laugh out loud, now?
{This ones for you, Bethany!}

One word comes to mind: Lahana

Defintion: Lahana is a perfume that Avon used to sell. 




 When I was a teen, my mother was obsessed with buying Avon products.
Every couple months she'd put in an order, with her regular Avon lady. It was kinda exciting, cause Mom would allow me to order things every once in awhile.

 There's a perfume that my mom ordered- Lahana.
 
And we didn't have just one bottle.  We had like 2 CASES of it. 
For the life of me, I don't remember why we had so much of  it. 
But, I loved that stuff!
I loved it so much I put a heavy dose on every day, and sometimes more then once.

Now, this perfume is strong.  So, if you can imagine, I didn't need to put it on heavy, and I certainly didn't need to douse myself more then once a day!

 The compliments I'd receive on how good I smelled, only propelled me to add even more heavy doses! {Oiy. I was a naive teen.}

 Not only did I douse myself with this great smelling perfume, I figured my letters {no email back in my dating days} to my boyfriend, Doug, needed sumpin sumpin special: Lahana! 

And like my body, I couldn't just spray the paper once. Those letters permeated Lahana!

 I got teased from Doug's siblings, to the enth degree, that they knew when Autumn sent a letter to Doug, because before they even opened the mailbox...they SMELLED it! 

In one of my return letters, Doug wrote that his mom would like it if I could use a little less perfume. *Embarrassed*
And I did. 
I used less, but there was no way I would stop all together!


 During this 'perfume and courtship of Doug' days, we lived in a home that used gas for heating, and all that jazz.  We had a huge gas tank out back of this house. 

 One day, there was a gas leak. Not just a leak, a HUGE leak. Our house reeked of gas. 
And annoyingly, it lasted for months.  The smell of stale gas was all around us, in our clothes, our hair, everything.

 Our family stunk for months.

 And what did I do to cover it up? Lahana! 
I doused myself with MORE Lahana!
{Oh. my. I. needed. help.}

 *Embarrassed again.*
One time when I was on a date with Doug, he leaned over to me and said I smelled like my house.

 "Umm, my house smells like gas, Doug." I said

 "Yea, I know. You smell like gas." He replied.


Whhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

 I didn't smell pretty anymore. I smelled like GAS!


 Fast forward many, many years....

 About 2 years ago, I missed that awesome smelling perfume.  When I was searching for a new scent, I remembered Lahana!

 Of course, Avon discontinued it by then.
But, wait. 
eBay, might have it! 

 Sure enough, someone was selling a lot of 3 bottles.
WOW! I was so excited, I bought it so fast, I didn't have to think twice.

 I knew I'd be a responsible perfume wearer, now that I was all grown up.
So, I anxiously awaited the shipping box that held my fragrant friends. 
Once it came, I opened the box right up, and squirted my body with the great Lahana.

Yuck.

 It didn't smell good at all! 

 It wasn't horrible per say, but it didn't smell anything like I remembered.
I don't know if its age made it smell different. Or if my nose didn't work the same, or if the perfume simply smelled different on my body. But, all I know it wasn't my Lahana. 

 What a let down!

 I used it a few times, hoping it would miraculously change back to what I remembered it being like.
Nope. 
I ended up sending it off to the thrift store, with other unwanted junk.

My hope:  A teenage girl found it, loved it so much, she couldn't resist the urge of dousing her body with it several times a day.

4 Royal Remarks:

The Girls' Mom said...

Very good! HAHAHA I really wish I could smell it and compare it to how I remember it smelling. But maybe it doesn't smell the same because there was no gas???

Autumn said...

Bethany, did you laugh as hard as I did? Tears were pouring down my face when we talked about it...and when I was writing this! ROFL!

I guess it's a common theme that when you and I talk about our teen years, we end up CRAYING because we're laughing so hard! LOVE IT!

Kendra said...

I loved reading this! Thanks for sharing a blast from your past.

courtney said...

So so funny! I love those stories that just make you smile when you think of them!