How did you get engaged?
I was 18 years old {a baby!} and Warren was 23. We were at Ricks College {now BYU Idaho} going to school. We had talked about getting married for months before Warren kneeled down and popped the question.
Warren wanted to wait until the right time to 'officially' ask {he wanted a ring first and to wait until the right moment}. It drove me NUTS because we knew we were unofficially engaged. I told all my friends and parents and family. Warren hadn't. He's retarded.
It ended up being a giant fiasco around our engagement between Warren's parents and him since he hadn't told anyone but I told everyone. And the reason it was such a big deal? We were both from the same tiny, tiny town. So his parents found out through the grapevine instead of from their son. Like I said- Warren is retarded. In his mind he didn't care to let anyone know- even his parents. He just knew that he wanted to marry me and that's all that mattered. He didn't care what anyone else thought or felt- even his parents. He really hurt his parents feelings over the whole ordeal. I was so angry with him! I still get mad when I think about it.
Anyway- about the actual engagement- it was Easter Sunday 1994. All of Warren's roommates were gone for the holiday as well as mine- except my friend and roomie, Valarie. Warren invited me to his apartment to watch General Conference and I asked if Valarie could come along. He was very hesitant and tried to talk me out of having her come. {Little did I know he wanted to be ALONE with me for a particular reason} But I thought it would be rude to leave my friend so I insisted she come. The three of us watched both sessions of conference and even had lunch in between together.
According to Warren's plans- he wanted just he and I to watch the first session of conference then go on a picnic lunch to the park. After eating he wanted to present the ring and ask me to marry him. {Oh, so sweet and romantic.}
Well, it didn't work out that way- AT ALL. It was pouring cats and dogs outside that whole day- so the picnic wouldn't have worked anyway. But the indoor lunch wasn't the right time either since Valarie was there. Warren was frustrated. {I didn't know that he was. He told me later.} When the second session of conference ended Valarie and I were going to go back to our apartment for a cat nap. Warren asked if I'd stay- I did and Valarie left.
We sat on the couch for a few minutes flipping through TV channels and arguing on what to watch. {We still do this.} Warren left the room so I laid on the couch and watched what I wanted. Then he came back only a minute later- kneeled at the couch and opened up a ring box. What?! I was shocked. I sat up just in time for him to ask "Autumn, will you be my eternal companion?" I giggled with excitement and wrapped my arms around Warren and told him- "Of course!".
He tried slipping the ring on. It didn't fit.
To go back home and give a tell- all to my roommates that I really was now 'officially' engaged, but with no ring to prove it, was horrible! Warren got the ring sized later.
We were married and sealed in the Salt Lake Utah Temple a few months later...August 22, 1994.





6 Royal Remarks:
This is so funny, Autumn. And totally different from our engagement story.
I'll have to share that some time.
I'm glad you posted this, I need to do another journal jar. It is a great story I forgot the drama behind it. I think it is funny we got engaged the same weekend 4 years apart.
I knew i was going to marry Andy from about our 3rd date. but he is slow and took him a while longer. Yep, he was a retard too!!
In like July of '96 he asked me "If I asked you to marry me what would you say." Duh!!! But that was not the OFFICIAL asking.
His older sister got married Sept. 3rd(?) , 1996 and she had a reception down here in Phoenix (married/lived in SLC). The day of the reception Andy came over to pick me and my roommate up to go help set up the tables and chair for the reception. he pulled me into the kitchen and just straight up asked me. He apologized about not having and ring and that he really wanted to wait until he could afford and really nice ring like his sister got. i told him no way did I need a ring I just anted to get married. But I did say yes.
We went over put up table and chair in the hot sun and then I came home and got sick. I get heat stroke REALLY easy. I could not tell him I was sick. He wanted me to go to the reception with him so he could introduce me to all the friends and family. Needless to say I excused my self about 4 times t throw up in the bushes. My head was pounding and the had a Very LOUD Mariachi Band going the whole time. I felt sooo bad. I am super glad it was dark cause no one really noticed I was extremely pale and that I was hurling in the bushes!!! and was were married 3mos later in the Mesa LDS Temple. And we got basic gold bands for our rings. We were really poor!
Oh, I was 19 and he was 24.
This is SO funny, and I love how you keep saying that Warren is retarded. What a hoot.
Autumn - thanks for sharing that with all of us :)
it's always fun to read an engagement story - that part in your story where you said you giggled... i did, too!
That is so sweet! We were engaged when I was young too. My in laws kept bringing my age up, then they met me and decided I really would be the best thing to ever happen to my darling. :) Warren isn't retarded though, he's just a man. :)
Post a Comment