»

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Brunch

 My children have been fighting way too much
So much, there's times I've had it, and didn't want to be around them. 

I've even sent them to bed early, because I didn't want to hear it any more.

Sad.



 I know it's 'normal' for children to squabble, but to be down right mean, hurtful, rude, and disrespectful to one another on a constant basis is uncalled for. This is where as a mom, I desperately needed to step in.

 In the Book of Mormon, we've been taught that contention is wrong, and as parents we need to teach our children this truth.

Mosiah 4

14 And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another, and serve the devil, who is the master of sin, or who is the evil spirit which hath been spoken of by our fathers, he being an enemy to all righteousness

15 But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another


 I wasn't sure how to get it through my kids' thick heads- without lecturing, cause we know that goes over so well.
 I prayed a lot about how to teach them. My answer didn't come right away.
Then...

 A few Sunday's ago, I was at church, and the whole time I was praying in my heart for a way to help my children see the error of their ways.

 During the last hour of church, a light bulb flipped on above my head.  An answer to my prayers came!
I could literally feel the holy spirit on fire in my heart, waiting with the answer.
I knew exactly what I was supposed to do for my children.
{I get teary eyed just thinking of it- even now.}

 The following night, during Family Home Evening, I gave a lesson. 

 I held up a flashlight, and we talked about what a flashlight does, or helps us do.
We talked about light in general, and all its good qualities.
I also, likened the flashlight to the light of Christ, and what His light does for us.



 I asked my children to think about the fight they had earlier that night at the dinner table.
I went over some of the things each one said during that argument.
They were embarrassed as I repeated some of the things said.

 Then I asked them...

"What if our Saviour were to appear in our home right at the moment of you all fighting? 

What if He stood next to our dining table, and watched and listened to each one of us...

Would He be happy with what He saw? 

Would He be pleased with how His brothers and sisters were treating one another?

Would He be proud of us?"

 The room was silent.

 It was unanimous. NO, our Saviour would not be pleased, nor happy with us. 
He would be sad, and disappointed.

 All of us could feel the spirit of God, as the realization hit.
It was undeniable.
The feeling in our livingroom was that strong.

 I went back to the flashlight, and used it as a representation of Christ.  I told the kids that when the flashlight was turned on, it was as if our Saviour was standing here with us.
 
 And, I told them that throughout the weeks ahead, I was going to use the flashlight at random times. 

Without a word from me, I was going to turn the flashlight on when things were going well, and when arguments and meanness filled our walls.
They would have no idea when it would happen, but when it did, they would know that the Savior was "visiting" them. 





 What a difference!  I was pleasantly surprised at how much my children responded to the flashlight, and how serious they took it. 

 They weren't perfect, nor will they ever be, but it made a huge difference in our home. 
I believe they "got it"!
They could "see" when Jesus was visiting them. 
They could reflect on their personal behavior at that moment.

 As for me, I'm once again grateful for my Heavenly Father's guidance in a time of need. 

Motherhood is seriously the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.  I can't do this journey alone.  
A loving Father in heaven really is always there to help us, if we ask.


3 Royal Remarks:

Anonymous said...

I so needed to hear that right now. My boys are only 5 and 3 and my little girl is only 9 months, but already the boys are constantly beating each other up and I can't seem to make any headway, they just don't listen or care, at least my 5 year old that does most of the hurting. I was trying to figure out what to do and this really hit a chord! Thanks Autumn! It made me cry as well!

Autumn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Autumn said...

I love the picture of Jesus ps. i love you and my family soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomuch

Emma