»

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday Brunch

I am a daughter of God and He loves me.




 In our church, teenage girls go to what's called "Young Women", as part of their Sunday school. 
This is from ages 12- 18 years.

 At the beginning of the one hour meeting, all girls stand, and recite the Young Women's 'theme', together. 
It's serves as a weekly reminder of who they are, why they are here, and where they are going.

 When I was a teen, and when I served many times with the Young Women, as an adult leader, I did the same thing.
I repeated the theme every Sunday.
It wasn't long into my first year, {12 yrs old} that I had it memorized.

 Young Women theme:

"We are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him.
We will stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places as we strive to live the Young Women values, which are:

Faith
Divine Nature
Individual Worth
Knowledge
Choice and Accountability
Good Works
Integrity and
Virtue.

We believe as we come to accept and act upon these values, we will be prepared to strengthen home and family, make and keep sacred covenants,
receive the ordinances of the temple, and enjoy the blessings of exaltation."


 I was thinking of this very theme today. I realized that since I took the time as a teen to memorize this, and repeat it on a weekly basis, it became an intricate part of me. 
It became connected to my mind and heart. 

 This lead me to thinking that memorizing uplifting poems, songs, or scriptures can really help us in time of need- whether in times of sorrow or happiness.

 You know how it's said that when you tell yourself, or someone else tells you, something over, and over, and over again, you begin to believe it?  Well, I believe it to be true. 

 I can see the wisdom in having teachable young women learn this value statement, to help them in their current lives, and in the lives they will form as adults.
 Why?
 Because right now, 20 + years later, I am thinking...

 I am a daughter of Heavenly Father, who loves me, and I love him

And oh, how I need this knowledge and reminder!

0 Royal Remarks: