Experience the gospel in a new perspective while witnessing Dan Harrington's spiritual journey. Not just another tale of conversion, Dan reverently reveals the Mormon religion through a non-member's eyes as he reflects upon his experiences with missionaries and Church members, forges new friendships, and finds an unexpected common ground of faith. Find out who's at the door and see what can happen when you open it.
My thoughts:
What a delightful read! I read this book out loud to my husband, who was once a missionary himself.
We both thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Reading of Dan Harrington's journey with the "Mormon missionaries", was an adventure in itself. There was no way to tell what would happen next. I like suspense! Also, I found myself invested in Dan, and his many highs and lows.
I was pleasantly surprised at the humor heavily sprinkled through out the entire memoir. I giggled like a school girl on more than one occasion. {So did my husband. haha}
There was even a laugh- out- loud, tears- spilling- out -my- eyelids moment. {I'm smiling just thinking of it now.} It's in chapter 14.
All I'm going to reveal is it's about a bible study group Harrington attended, and the members of the group were- let's just say "naive". What a funny scene!
Also, there were many 'Ah-ha' moments for Harrington throughout his journey, and as the reader I cheered him on. It's always great to read of triumphs!
One of my favorite moments was in chapter 15.
Elder Dowling, had caught the attention of Dan Harrington, on how much faith this missionary had. Something profound was written by Harrington in this chapter, as he reflected on Dowling. --
"Faith in Jesus wasn't about who read the Bible the most, who could quote the most scripture, or who made the best argument. It wasn't even about who goes to what church. It's in the way we live our lives."
Through Harrington's reflections, I learned something valuable, too. And I love it when I learn something when I wasn't planning on it. So, thank you, Dan!
To me, this book incorporates so many human traits we all go through- members of the LDS church, or not. It's about a journey in finding peace within and truth. I really enjoyed reading of Harrington's journey, and laughing with him along the way.
This is a must read- especially for those investigating the LDS religion.
_________________________
Thank you Dan, for giving me the opportunity to read and review your book. It was my pleasure.
But, I just have to ask...Dude, when are you going to get baptized? Oh, c'mon. You know it's true.
You're smart enough to have that figured out. And you of all people, know it's the journey that counts.
So come journey with us Mormons!
_______________________________________
Biography:
When Dan Harrington was 8 years old, he tried to interview a talking Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer at Santa's Village in New Hampshire. With captivating questions such as "Exactly what Reindeer games do you play?" and "What's Santa's favorite cookie?" he drove a teenage employee crazy enough to say that Rudolph was sleepy and had to go to bed.
Harrington became a professional freelance writer many years later in 2007. His work has appeared in publications such as Village Soup, The Kennebec Journal, Inside Pro Wrestling/The Wrestler, Portland Magazine, and LDS Church News. He has written about everything from missionaries to extreme sports to law enforcement. He lives in central Maine.







2 Royal Remarks:
WHAT?? He's not a member yet? Thats crazy talk!
Thank you for the wonderful review! I'm glad you and your husband connected with so many parts of the story.
It's nice to know other people can see the humor in some of the situations I faced, and I appreciate your kind words.
Post a Comment