»

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Game Room journey -- take 8 {Vintage looking dice}

Vintage looking dice!!!

I created these darling dice from blocks of wood.  Cute, right?





Here's how I did it:

Supplies:

3 Blocks of wood
Sand paper
Spray paint
Black craft paint
Foam Brush
Wood Stain

1}  I got out three blocks of wood, I had in storage.  Mine are 3x3. {Sounds small, but they're not.}

{For your own blocks: Go to Home Depot, and from a fence post, get cuts of wood.
Yep, Home Depot will cut wood for ya! The first cut is free, then they charge a small fee for more cuts. 
It's worth it to not have to worry about cutting your own wood!}



2} I sanded the tar out of the blocks. You want nice, smooth surfaces, and rounded edges.
I used my handy electric sander, but a sanding block will also do.



3} I used IVORY colored spray paint to cover the blocks.  I did two coats.
{Craft paint will also work.}



4}  While my blocks were drying, I got out my Cricut, to make a circle template.
I fiddled around until I got the right size. 
{You can use anything for a template.}



5} After the blocks were dry, I used sand paper to shabby up the edges. 
{I had sand paper helpers going right behind me, to make sure I did a good job!}





6} I positioned my circle template on the blocks. I used tape to keep it in place.
As I studied real dice, I carefully painted the circles on each die.

I used black craft paint, and THE CORNER of a small foam brush.
{You can also use a stencil brush.}

I didn't worry if the circles were  perfect- they still look cute! I kinda like that they're not perfect looking.



 7} Using an old, dry, washcloth, I ran over the edges with Red Mahogany wood stain. I found this stain at Wal-mart in the paint department. {Any craft, or home improvement store, should carry it. }
Tip: A little goes a long way!!

 Also, I used a little bit of the stain, and covered around the edges of each face of the dice, just to give it a more vintage look.  I wiped it as I went along, using the other end of my clean washcloth.

{This is key in order to make it look aged, and not painted on.}



8} I positioned the dice how I liked, and used a couple drops of hot glue to keep them in place.





I'm in lOvE! 
I can't get over how stinkin' cute they are!


Cost: $8.35

Wood stain- $5,
Foam brush- 35 cents,
Ivory Spray Paint- $3

I already had the wood blocks, sand paper, and black craft paint.

0 Royal Remarks: