»

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Entryway - take 1 {Chic Word Hanging}

Our hallway, near the front door, is lacking. I have some grand ideas of what I'd like to do to jazz it up.

For starters, I created a chic wall hanging. I'm in love!








Want to make one?

Supplies:

4 frames {Or however many you need to create your word}
Fabric {Scrapbook paper will also work}
Glue gun
Wood Lettering
Craft paint or spray paint
Sand paper
Foam brush
Small nails/ hammer
Ribbon
Scissors
Curtain rod


Tutorial:

1} I started with 4 pretty frames. {Mine fit 8x10 inside the frame.}

I popped out the glass, and backing board. 
Then, I threw out the glass, but kept the backing


2} I spray painted my frames. {I chose to do 2 antique white, and 2 black.}

While they were drying...

3} I ironed my fabric.

{Tip: Scrapbook paper will also work, instead of fabric!}




4} Using the back board as a guide, I trimmed the fabric about 2 inches around it.



5} With my glue gun- I glued around the edges of the frames, as I gently pulled my fabric ends down.



6} Voila!  One down...3 more to go. 



7} All four complete!




8}  Next,  I took my ribbon, and looped it through the frame. I made a pretty bow, and cut the edges of the ribbon.

9} Then, I popped each of my fabric panels back into the dried frames.

 

10}  I painted my letters with 4-5 coats of purple craft paint.

{This step took awhile, cause I had to wait for each coat to dry. Tick Tock... I'm not patient!
Honestly, I think I should of spent the extra money and bought purple spray paint.  Craft paint took way too long.}

When they were FINALLY dry, I shabbied up the letters a bit, by sanding the edges.

{I purchased my wood letters at JoAnns- 5 inch height.}


11}  Next, I added my letters -H O M E- by centering each letter, in its frame, and glued it in place with my glue gun.

{Tip: Use one small nail per frame, and nail the letter from the back panel. It will keep the heavy letter from sagging.}


 

12} Then, I put up my curtain rod in the desired spot on my hallway wall.


 


13} I added each frame, with the ribbon as the 'hanger', to the curtain rod.

{Tip: You can do the frames uneven like I did, or even.  If you like them uneven, you need to make the ribbon longer on two of the frames. But, either way will look great.}




 

14} Finished!





2 Royal Remarks:

The Girls' Mom said...

I think Im in love too.... I can't wait to make one but Im scared yours is so cute that Ill expect too much when I do one. I think Im going to do WELCOME since I will need to take up more space.

Autumn said...

I love it mom and i love you.