This sabbath I've been thinking a lot about this song. Here are the lyrics to it- one of my favorite Christmas songs. {You can follow along with the music playing in the background, if you like.}
Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will one day walk on water?
Did you know
That your baby boy will save our sons and daughters?
Did you know
That your baby boy has come to make you new?
This child that you've delivered-will soon deliver you.
Mary, did you know
That your baby boy will give sight to a blind man?
Did you know
That your baby boy will calm a storm with his hand?
Did you know
That your baby boy has walked where angels trod?
And when you kiss your little boy- you've kissed the face of God.
Mary, did you know?
The blind will see, the deaf will hear and the dead will live again.
The lame will leap, the dumb will speak the praises of the lamb.
Mary, did you know
That your baby boy is Lord of all creation?
Did you know
That your baby boy will one day rule the nations?
Did you know
That your baby boy is heavens perfect lamb?
This sleeping child you're holding-
Is The Great I Am!

Since the first time I heard this song- I've often pondered on the life of Mary.
THE mother of Jesus Christ. Wow.
Awhile back I read a wonderful fictional series by Gerald Lund- "The Kingdom and The Crown". These books helped me visualize and comprehend Christs time and life more fully then I did before. One of my favorite parts in the books is when it has to do with Mary. Though, her parts in the books are minimal {after all, it's a book about Jesus Christ} I adore how the relationship our Savior had with His beloved mother was depicted in these books.
And to answer the question {from my point of view}- "Mary did you know?"...
I believe she was told quite a bit about who she was carrying in her womb and the purpose. But I also believe that as Jesus grew in His life, learning line upon line, precept upon precept- Mary also was learning and understanding her sons full and glorious potential and purposes. I don't believe she knew everything before hand at all. I think she was suppose to learn and grow with Jesus' experiences as well. She had to learn how to have faith just as we are to.
I also think that Mary was amazed and probably even shocked at some of the things Jesus did and taught. I doubt Mary was present during all the miracles. She had to have heard them from her son or through the grapevine. Some of the stories probably seemed almost unreal to her, I am sure- but I believe she knew they were true. If you study the times of her day- the philosophies, religion and way of thinking were very different from the way her son was describing and teaching mankind. Even down to the way Jesus was teaching men to treat women. Mary was learning right along with the rest of the peoples who were willing to sit at the master's feet to learn. I honestly think Mary was Jesus' biggest and number one fan of all time!
Mary in one of my all time favorite heroines- if I dare put her in that category. I have always loved and looked up to Mary. I can't wait to meet Mary one day....I just want to hug her and talk with her about all her experiences. Maybe I'll talk her into writing a book about her life. teehee
{PS} My most favorite Christmas song is 'O, Holy Night'. It brings tears to my eyes almost every time I hear it- especially when it's sung to perfection. ie: Josh Groban. I think it portrays what Christmas is about in every sense.
Also- one of my other favorite women of all time is Eve. Oh my goodness I adore her! I can't wait to meet Eve too!! But that's another post for another time.





1 Royal Remarks:
I love this song...especially the version that Clay Aiken sings. it is fantastic. And I totally agree with you on the O holy night...I absolutely love that song.
Post a Comment