My buddy, Bethany, is starting a new thing on her blog for post ideas. She is pulling a question out of a Journal Jar she has {about 100 questions} as prompts for some of her future posts. Since blogging is one of the ways I 'write in my journal' this strikes me as a fantastic idea!
I let her know that whenever she pulls out a question and posts about it that I'd write about the same. :) Anytime you see a post titled 'Journal Jar' you'll know what it's about. You can read Bethany's post here.
Do you recall any outstanding family trips or summer holidays experienced as a child?
I certainly do!! Where to start and which one to share? There's SO many- all with hilarious and crazy highlights. I've been to so many places in my life, folks. I've been extremely blessed in that I've seen and done much in my lifetime. And there's always room for more.
But the one that comes to mind is our Paris trip.
Ah, the beautiful, wonderful, romantic Paris, France. {Well, this wasn't a 'Romantic Paris' trip by any means. But it was beautiful.}
A short background first...
My dad was in the Army. We lived in Germany for seven years of my childhood. I knew we had something extra fun in our lives, even at that age. I knew that it wasn't like the average American girl got to experience Europe. I loved it there and we took many exciting trips in those years. {I could go on and on about the museums, castles, chapels, parks and other historical or fun places in Europe. Or the many other places in the world I've been.}
My dad was in the Army. We lived in Germany for seven years of my childhood. I knew we had something extra fun in our lives, even at that age. I knew that it wasn't like the average American girl got to experience Europe. I loved it there and we took many exciting trips in those years. {I could go on and on about the museums, castles, chapels, parks and other historical or fun places in Europe. Or the many other places in the world I've been.}
I get my desire to learn, travel and see new things from my mother. She loved being on the go and so did us children. Dad wasn't at all interested in the travels mom was- but most of the time he would just grin and bare it- or mom would take just us kids on an adventure without dad. {I am the oldest of 8. I grew up with 5 of us in one house: Mom, my dad- who raised me since I was five years old- and 4 siblings. My other 3 siblings where raised by my father and his wife.}
Onto the real story...
Around my twelfth birthday {mom's birthday is in September as well} there was a hearty discussion as to where our family would go to celebrate. Mom wanted to go to Holland, I wanted Paris. We voted...and I got Paris! How cool is that? I was thrilled.

We had a grand time, with us kids fighting and all. Paris was so pretty as well as filthy. You have to remember that Europeans do not have the same standards {or used to anyway} as Americans. We saw some VERY interesting, diverse and down right nasty things. Sadly, I remember. I think I was in shock. I remember mom and dad telling us when to look the other way or put our heads down so many times!

The Eiffel Tower was the highlight, of course. We got to see it in the day and night. Absolutely, it truly is all that it's cracked up to be! As you can imagine, it is smaller in real life then you would think- but it's still awesome.

One of the the most memorable things about that trip was that we drove through the night to get there and, as always, dad got lost. So our first 'night' in Paris we pulled over on the side of the road to sleep until the light came up.
In the morning we found that we were parked by a gypsy camp! {That's a big thing in Europe- gypsy colonies. They travel and camp in groups. A lot of them teach their children how to pick pocket. And they're good at it. Real good.}

Anyway, I was terrified that they were going to steal us children from our parents and turn us into gypsies. I just knew -in my twelve year old brain- that was going to happen. Seriously. I was especially set on the fact that they were going to kidnap my baby sister, Jade, who was barley a year old.
One of the gypsy ladies came over and talked with us, really friendly like, she wanted to hold Jade. And mom let her! I didn't let her out of my sight.
They really were very friendly people. They asked for money- of course- and dad gave. {Maybe that's why they didn't steal us kids? Dad had to pay 'em off! hehe}
I must of startled my younger siblings too because for years and years {and still to this day} we all talked about those gypsies and how one gypsie lady almost stole our baby. haha
Just so you know- I hope to go again one day. I want my 'Romantic Paris' experience with just me and my hubby. :)
I can guarantee 100% we won't be camping either!
And since I love Paris so much, I've decorated one of my bathrooms {the guest bathroom} in Paris decor. It's darling.







5 Royal Remarks:
I've now lived in Europe for four years and I have not yet made the trek to Paris. I want to go though and I heard that you can even take the train from Holland - it's only 4 hours by train and drops you off in the heart of Paris. We will go someday.
Neat story an neat idea! I ran across her post the other day and thought tha was a great idea.
Now I am ready to go to Paris!
A journal jar...what a great idea.
I love the idea of going to Paris. It sounds like a very romantic place. But first...Spain!
I want to go to Europe so bad!!!
I LOVE Europe. The Eiffel tower is amazing. I still can remember standing up there and looking down and how little all the people looked. What a cool experience to have lived in Europe!
Post a Comment