Here's my step-by-step recipe for rolls/bread. I've perfected this recipe over time to make- what I believe- is the perfect rolls:
I take 1 tablespoon of yeast, 1 cup of luke- warm water and 1 tablespoon of sugar and mix it gently in a separate bowl.
In a large glass or metal bowl I add 1 cup of barely warmed up milk, or water, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 stick of real butter, 1 teaspoon of salt and 2 eggs.
I then add the bowl of yeast mixture and mix that together.
Following that I slowly add ONLY* 4 cups of flour and stir until dough is thoroughly mixed together. Dough will be very sticky.
I spray the top of the dough with Pam and cover with a damp light weight kitchen towel.
I let it rise for 2 hours.
If I am making Fry Bread-
I cover my counter and hands with flour, pull out a handful of sticky dough and cover it with the flour until it's soft and pliable {not sticky} and can be rolled into a small plate sized circle.
I poke my finger through the middle of the circle to make a good hole. In an already HOT pot of oil-{make sure to heat lots of oil. Make it deep. You don't want the fry bread touching the bottom of your pot or pan. It will burn.}
I add the rolled out dough to the oil, let it lightly brown on each side, making sure it's been cooked thoroughly, then with metal tongs,
I pull the Fry Bread out and place on a ready platter covered with paper towels.
I keep doing this until all my Fry Bread is done.
If I'm making rolls or bread:
Once I've let the dough rise for 2 hours- I poke it down.
I put flour all over my counter and hands- and knead a little more flour into each dough gob as I form it into a rolls {making it soft & pliable- not sticky}. Or a giant gob of dough to form into loaves.
I put the dough on a Pam sprayed pan that I am to be baking it in- and I let it rise for another 2 hours- or until it doubles in size, again.
I then bake it at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
I baby my rolls- I only like them golden brown- so I check often to make sure I don't over cook them.
Once I pull out of oven- I take a stick of real butter and coat the tops generously.
And there you have it- the perfect rolls, bread or Fry Bread! {I also use this same recipe for my cinnamon rolls.} Of course, I double or triple this recipe for my family. I get lots and lots of compliments on my rolls/bread....so I must be doing it right!
*I add only 4 cups at the start because you will be adding a little bit of flour later on as you are forming your rolls/bread dough. In the end, it's just enough to make the flour the perfect balance so it's not thick and dense bread. I like fluffy bread.






4 Royal Remarks:
Yum!
I'll bring the rumaki, you make the rolls!
I was looking for a good recipe. Thanks! From one state of chaos to another, glad I found your site!
OHHH... Rhodes couldn't have done any better- beautiful.
Those are beautiful! I have never been able to perfect the roll thing. I once said to someone, "I have a yeast problem". It went silent. I didnt' even catch on until I proceeded to talk about how I can never figure out the right way to do yeast, and it never turns out. Then the burst of laughter that proceeded out of her (and others) mouths made me catch on. We got quite the good laugh out of it. Now I have a bread maker. Hallalujah!
Post a Comment