»

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Hang 'Em High, by Tristi Pinkston {Book Review}






Synopsis:
When Ida Mae Babbitt receives an invitation to visit her son Keith's dude ranch in Montana, she's excited to mend their broken relationship, but not so excited about spending time with cows.
Arlette and Tansy go along with her, ready to take a vacation that does not involve dead bodies or mysteries of any sort - one must have a break from time to time. But it seems a no-good scoundrel has moseyed into Dodge City and is bent on causing all sorts of trouble for the ranch. Unable to keep her curiosity in check - especially when it seems her own son is the most likely culprit - Ida Mae decides to investigate.
Can she lasso the varmint and get him to the sheriff in time?

My Review:
Hang 'Em High is book three in the Secret Sisters mysteries.
If you're not familiar with the Secret Sisters mysteries, you are missing out!
It all starts with Ida Mae Babbitt, Relief Society President, and her two friends, Arlette and Tansy. {Not your ordinary Relief Society sisters!}
These three seniors, who are young at heart, seem to find trouble wherever they go!  Somehow, they find their way into solving murders in a not-so-traditional way.
The three nosey friends dub themselves as "The Secret Sisters",  And boy, are they a hoot! 
Hang 'Em High, brings the Secret Sisters to a dude ranch. 
What is supposed to be a quiet vacation, turns into the ladies stumbling into a mystery that needs to be solved. 
Of course, these gals can not resist, and quickly start investigating. 
You will find yourself laughing- out- loud, even in the first chapter. These quirky ladies will definitely make their way into your heart. 
One of my favorite laugh-out- loud scenes, is a conversation between Ida Mae, the main character, and her side-kick, Arlette. 
Arlette is desperately trying to talk Ida Mae into purchasing jeans, instead of wearing her usual polyester pants, for a trip to a dude ranch:

  "Jeans do something to the figure, Ida Mae,  You might actually have one under there somewhere."

   "Now you're getting personal!"   Ida Mae was not at all pleased with the turn this conversation had taken. "I have a figure. And it's a very nice one, too."

  "Silhouettes created with the aid of a girdle do not count."

  "But jeans are different? Tell me, how are jeans different?"

   "Jeans accentuate what you have. Girdles take it and smash it and squeeze it and...well, it's not unlike Play-Doh."

  "Please remind me why I invited you over for lunch, I'm trying to remember, and I just can't."

   "The memory is usually next to go, after the figure."
  
    "All right! I will buy a pair of jeans.  Will that make you happy?"

    "My happiness is of no account." Arlette said righteously. "I was thinking of the horses."

    "The horses won't care if I'm wearing jeans or not," Ida Mae protested.

Tristi Pinkston has a way with words that just lightens me up, and makes me smile every time I read her Secret Sisters books. 
She leaves me wanting more, and looking forward to when I can loose myself in Ida Mae's world.
{And I never want to put her books down!  But alas, I'm a mother of 6,}
Tristi writes very thoroughly, leaving no stone unturned, just like her friends, the Secret Sisters.
Her characters are lively, memorable and adorable, It's the perfect combination for a fun read, Tristi's plots are never dull, but full of spontaneity and life. 

Tristi Pinkston has done it again. This novel is darling, entertaining, and oh so funny!

Many thanks to you Tristi, for sending me your book to review. 
It was a delight and my pleasure!

To purchase all the books in Pinkston's Secret Sisters mysteries, click the below links.
Book 3: Hang 'Em High
Coming November 2011: Book 4, in the Secret Sisters mysteries, Targets in Ties!
You can get a sneak peek of chapter one of Targets in Ties, at the end of Hang 'Em High.


About the Author:



Tristi Pinkston can't remember a time when she didn't want to write.
Her fist poem was penned at the age of five, as was her first book about a little puppy  with big dreams, Sue the Dog.  It was quite a journey from Sue to Tristi's first published novel, but a journey she loved taking.
When she's not homeschooling her children, ignoring her dishes, contemplating grocery shopping, or procrastinating the laundry, Tristi works as a freelance editor and online writing instructor.

She is a popular presenter at the annual LDStorymakers Writers Conference, and she finds some of her greatest joy in helping authors realize their true potential. She also enjoys blogging, reviewing books, watching good movies and taking really long naps every Sunday afternoon.
Hang 'Em High is the third Secret Sister mystery series, and Tristi's eighth published book.
You can learn more about her by clicking on the below links...

Tristi Pinkston's website

Tristi Pinkston's blog


Bonus!

To celebrate the release of Tristi's eighth book, she's holding a contest!


If you leave a comment on this review, you will be entered into a drawing for a free manuscript evaluation, done by Tristi Pinkston Editing  at http://www.tristipinkstonediting.blogspot.com/  {How AWESOME is that?!}


In fact, you can leave comments on all the blogs participating in this virtual book tour!
Go to Tristi Pinkston's blog at http://www.tristipinkston.blogspot.com/ for a list.


The deadline is October 5th at midnight MST. If you win and you're not a writer, you can give this evaluation to a friend.

15 Royal Remarks:

Mary Ann said...

I enjoyed your review! And there is a book four coming? I'd better get busy.

Also, I love your blog, Books and crafts! Awesome!

Tristi Pinkston said...

Awesome, Miss Autumn!! Thanks!

Michaelbrent Collings said...

Great review! Sounds like you have a winner!

Michael D. Young said...

I'm going to have to read the first two so I can get to this one. Sounds good!

Pam Williams said...

I'm only halfway through the book and the plot twists surprise me with every page I turn, so excuse me while I...

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Great review. I'm excited to read Hang 'em High.

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

thanks for the review :)

Laura D. Bastian said...

I loved the teaser with the snippit of the conversation. They sound so cute.

Rachelle Christensen said...

Love the jeans quote! Tristi is so clever!

Steph said...

LOVE Love love reviews & contests! Thanks tons!!!

Valerie Ipson said...

Sounds like a fun series! I'll have to check them out.

Jennifer K Clark said...

Awesome review! Love the picture of Tristi!

Danyelle Ferguson said...

I love the Secret Sisters Mysteries. And I'm super *excited* about the contest!!!

Cheri Chesley said...

Yay! I love this series.

Stephonie said...

Love the blog! Excellent review. I love that quote: "The horses won't care if I'm wearing jeans or not,"