»

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Feeling Pioneer-ish

This afternoon I've been packing up for a camping trip I'm taking my kids on. My friends, Holly with her girls and Kenya with her daughter, are leaving tomorrow morning for a full weekend camp out up north in Prescott, AZ.

This weekend is the annual "Father & Sons Campout" that our church has. Since Warren isn't here I didn't want the boys to miss a camping adventure so we are doing a 'Mommy & Children Campout'.

So- I feel pioneer-ish.

Why?

Because, to me, a woman {or women} camping alone with children reminds of days long ago in history where moms lived off little and were out in the elements a lot more then we are in our day, while their husbands were off at war or something profound like hunting for weeks on end. Mind you that camping in a water-proof tent, cozying up in a sleeping bag on an air mattress, making smores with metal prongs and cooking with a propane stove is hardly pioneer! But I feel sorta pioneer-ish because I'm going with NO man. My ancesters would be so jealous!

No worries...Holly is bringing her gun! We'll be safe as kittens with their mommy with Holly pointing that barrel down anyone's head who comes near us. {Now I'm scaring you with the idea of Holly and a gun?! Again, no worries, she grew up hunting and shooting guns with her Daddy. Her aim is good enough!}

We are camping at Lynx Lake, in Prescott. Only an hour and 1/2 from Phoenix. Lynx Lake is a beautiful place in the woods and happens to be one of my favorite spots. We will be camping in a double camp spot -$20 a night instead of $10 for single camp spots. There's lots of hiking, fishing, boating {though I seriously doubt we'll take 9 children boating. We shall pass this time.}
I bought sidewalk chalk {you know for the paved roads in the campground} and bubbles. I even packed some jars for the kids to have as 'bug catchers' and plenty of games. We've packed lots of great food- along with smores stuff. We plan on singing lots of fun camp songs too!

Wish us luck and safety. We'll be taking lots of pictures...so I'll share when I get home.

3 Royal Remarks:

Cabo Girl said...

We only need two guys to go with us... Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson... LOL :) OH AND GOD CAN COME TOO... :)

My Aim is BETTER than good enough, he better run like hell if I point it at him, because one more thing my daddy told me is, if you point a gun at someone, you shoot them! So I won't be pointing it at anyone until I want them dead.

Anyways, Smores will be fun to do with the kids.

Holly

The Girls' Mom said...

I hope you have lots of fun! I get stressed out camping with my kids and my hubby is there you are a better woman than I!! I can't believe it is warm enough to go camping! We had snow today :( Eat a s'more for me and give all you kids a hug from us.

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Sounds like lots of fun. I remember camping with the whole extended family several years ago during my single mom days. I was trying to set up the tent and my five year old daughter said, "I think we need a man to help us." Boy, I had to teach her a few things. She changed her mind quickly when we were the first ones up in the morning and I had to light the fire, get breakfast going, and keep three very young, very cold children quiet so they wouldn't wake up grandpa and grandma. She figured mom was pretty cool after we lit our own fire.

It's too cold for camping her still, but we are looking forward to the day. Wave at my mom when you're in the area. She lives in Prescott.