»

Sunday, March 9, 2008

The written word

Now, as a background, I am so picky on what I read...and it's only been recent that I've been willing to venture out of my comfort zone of Historical Fiction, which is my first love.

I read fantasy books with my sons all the time but they are usually geared toward 10 -12 yr. olds. And even though they have been very fun I decided to spread my wings... a tad.

What have I been reading lately?

In the category of Fantasy {and a bit of Historical Fiction set in India and England 1895}.
I just finished the first novel of a trilogy by Libba Bray- "A Great and Terrible Beauty". It was a suggested book from my friend, Stephenie Meyer, and I decided to go for it. And I loved it!


The second book "Rebel Angels"- should be in my mail box any day now and I can hardly wait.

I need to order the last book in the series "The Sweet Far Thing".

In my comfort category Historical Fiction- I just finished two novels by Annette Lyon. She is an LDS writer I correspond with and I really enjoyed these. "House on the Hill" {The Logan Temple in 1877} and the sequel "At the Journey's End" {The St. George Temple in 1881}.


Last month I read what I'd consider Historical Fiction too. The first of another trilogy by LDS author, Jennie Hansen, and thoroughly enjoyed this as well- "The Bracelet". {England 1877}


I need to order the other two: "The Emerald"--- and "The Topaz Ring".

But not until I am done with Libba Bray's captivating trilogy!!!

I'm unconventional in that I prefer to buy my books. I'm not sure why it is but I'm not a library person at all. I buy my books or borrow from a friend.





7 Royal Remarks:

Sue Shaw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sue Shaw said...

And you have time to read??? Impressive! Sue. x

Me said...

Wow, check you out! That's what happens when you have children who sleep... :(

The Girls' Mom said...

Those books very intriguing, I'll have to try them out.

Autumn said...

I only get to read till the wee hours of the morn while short people sleep. But I somehow get it in!

Bethany- I'd be happy to bring these up to you and lend them. I think you'd love them as well. :)

Arlyn said...

I'm sure the authors appreciate your preference to buy their books. If I were an author, I'd love it!

However, I am the type of person to check the library first since I rarely read a book more than once.

I have purchased and donated books that the library hasn't had yet...so does that honor both worlds?

The Girls' Mom said...

That is when I get a lot of reading done myself, I'd love to read them if you want to bring them. thanks