»

Thursday, March 6, 2008

The preparations begin


Our family is taking a trip up to Utah in 2 weeks. We will be gone for nearly 2 weeks so the preparations of this trip have begun. I'm getting laundry caught up as I write this with only 4 more loads to go...YIKES. The problem with going to Utah is that it's still cold up there and it's warm here in Phoenix. That means we have to dig out our winter gear.

Now packing for just a weekend trip is annoying and tedious for me- so I've got a big task ahead of me. As the mommy {as all mommies know} not only do I pack for me but for 5 short peoples' clothes, toiletries, games, pillows..yada...yada..yada... and it's going to be a huge chore.

The main reason for this trip is for me. But Warren and I decided to turn my trip into a family affair so we could see friends and extended family. Our children need to see their cousins, especially.

I will be attending another writers conference {LDStorymakers Conference} in Sandy, Utah on March 21st & 22nd. But this writers conference isn't just any conference...it's huge. The best of the best LDS authors and publishers will be in attendance or lecturing. A highlight for me will be that I get to meet up with a few writers and authors I correspond with and have a little reunion. YIPEEE!

Also, I will be attending 'Boot Camp' which is a rigorous 6 hours {3 hrs. each morning} where I will be taught and encouraged at the feet of a couple different authors. Pieces of my novel - 'As We Greet With A Kiss' will be mutilated and examined by other participants as well as our teachers. I've had homework e-mailed to me already on what I need to do and have prepared. I'm pleased to say I have this done but will most definitely be fine tuning my work before I leave!
The finale, Saturday night, is a ticketed event {yes, I bought my ticket already} of the Whitney Awards Gala. {This is like the Emmy awards for LDS writers}. I've done my nominations and can't wait to see who wins this year in all the categories.

On our drive up to Utah we will be going through Vegas, staying the night at Circus, Circus and enjoying a leisurely trip up. {Between bickering children and bouts of car sickness I am sure} We will stop at Hoover Dam as well as in St. George, Utah to see the temple. My husband plans on doing a lot of shopping for work along the way too. Once in Utah- my family will be at my husbands brother, James, home while I attend my conference. We will be in Utah for Easter as well and we look forward to the celebrations and egg hunt with Melissa's {James' wife} side of the family. We plan on scrapbooking too and that's always fun.

One of my best friends from high school, Bethany, will be having us in their home for a few days. Our children are so excited to see hers again! We call them cousins, too. Bethany and I plan on digital scrapbooking during my visit and I can't wait.

The following Friday -Melissa and I will be going to some cabins the church owns for a 'Back to Girls Camp' night. We will be singing camp songs and playing games and all that fun jazz with sisters in her ward. Sounds fun, huh?! Warren has 2 sisters, Courtney & Sharon, from southern Idaho who we hope to see also. {We've heard rumors their families will be coming down. Sweet!} Another sister of Warren's, Kim, and her family live in Utah too. {Warren is oldest of 10 children} So this will be a mini reunion sort of speak.
We hope to visit some more friends of ours who live in Utah- the Goetz family and the Tidwell family. {Though I've gotta snag the Tidwell's before they leave for Europe!}

On our trip home we will stop off in Manti, Utah to go see that temple and then back to Vegas where we will meet up with some of my sisters, Teya & Rayna, from Washington for another mini reunion! My other sister, Tami, and her family will be driving to Vegas from Arizona as well to meet us.

It's going to be a long, hard, fun, exhausting and memorable trip! I'm excited for this trip but I really hate driving. Especially with my 5 children for such a long distance. I swear if ONE kid says "Are we there yet?" I will turn around and come home!

9 Royal Remarks:

Arlyn said...

I can't admit that your plans make me jealous. We're pleased to get to church before the screaming and crying starts. We make our trips out of Idaho sparingly. It would be nice to get away, though. We'll likely go somewhere this summer...when we don't have two houses to pay for and the baby isn't still eating every 2-3 hours.

Arlyn said...

Oh...and I should have said...Have fun and be safe! DUH! It's not always about me!

Anonymous said...

Oh! I'm so envious that you'll be meeting w/ other writers!!!! What a wonderful trip it sounds like it's going to be!!!

The Girls' Mom said...

Yipee :) see you soon

Stephanie Humphreys said...

I'm exhausted just reading about your trip. Don't turn around and go home if the kids drive you nuts though...I'm looking forward to visiting with you again.

Unknown said...

Hi Autumn,

We would LOVE to hook up with you sometime during that two weeks. We are actually going to AZ for Eriks "stuff" on the 21st and heading back to Utah on the 24th. Just let me know. That would be so fun and MUCH overdue!

Sharon said...

yeah! we're coming down, it will be fun!

Shaina said...

sounds like a long but fun trip. Say hi to all the fam for me!

Me said...

You know... I think I will just stop in too. Why not?! What's one more... LOL Have a safe and wonderful time! Remember to slow down and enjoy the little moments!-

Enjoy your conf and be Blessed!