»

Saturday, February 19, 2011

P O U N D A G E

 My definition of POUNDAGE:  Pounds that feel like luggage.

 I've lost 35-40 pounds {fluctuating with water weight}, after my baby girl was born, in July. 
Yep, it's true!  Hooray, hooray!

 And you may think it was baby weight I lost.
 Nope.
 I gained a whopping 4 pounds, or so, while I was pregnant.  Which means, I was fat before I got pregnant.  Ummm, really fat.

 Unfortunately, the weight loss so far, isn't enough.

 Right now, I'm totally at a plateau. I feel like giving up. 
 Why?
 Because it's a lot of work, and it's easier to be lazy.

 I'm fully aware that if I give up now, I will just slowly gain the yucky 35-ish pounds back. Ugh.

 My sister-in-law, Shaina, has inspired me to get back to work on my poundage.
 She is on a weight-loss journey, and is writing about it via blog.
 I needed to read about her weight-loss journey.
 I needed an extra push in the right direction. {Thanks, Shaina!}


 I recently went to the doctor, and got some blood work done.
 Results: High Cholesterol.

 My cholesterol is slightly high to be exact, but who cares, it's high!! That's all that matters to me.
It's a wake up call. A call for action.

 My dear Grandma Ables, died from a heart attack.
 Am I going to let myself be at risk, and follow her fate?

The fact of the matter is this: There is no easy way. 
I HAVE to change the way I eat, and I HAVE to exercise.  And not just to look, and feel good, but to be heart healthy.

 So what have I done so far?
 I've changed the foods I normally buy. I've gone to lite products, fat free products, and low sodium products.
And I don't care who complains in this household! {aka: Warren}

 Warren needs the change just as badly as I do. 
His father, and grandfather, have very bad heart health. Sadly, his grandfather died at an early age from a heart attack. And so scary, his dad had quadruple bypass surgery at a young age.

Warren is on the road to a heart attack, too.

We both are.



 I refuse to take medication for high cholesterol.
 Why?
 I can change it with diet and exercise. I will do my darnedest to change it. I won't let medication be used as a crutch.  If I find that my diet will not change my numbers, which is unlikely. but if it doesn't, I will go on medication. I'm gonna fight it!


So, just how much weight do I need to lose?
Well, according to the weight calculator, I'm supposed to be in this range:
5'8" - 132 to 164 pounds

 I'm currently 199 pounds.
 I need to lose at least 33 pounds.


 What is my BMI?  {Body Mass Index}
 Well, according this BMI calculator, I'm here:
 30.1

 BMI Categories:
•Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
•Overweight = 25-29.9
•Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

 I'm right on the line of obesity. That feels horrible.

 I like food.
 I like fattening, sugary sweet foods.
 Who doesn't?

 I hate being fat.
 I hate feeling sluggish.
 Who doesn't?

 There has to be a change.
 It has to be now.

1 Royal Remarks:

Shaina said...

Go for it! I hope you lose weight faster than I am!