»

Friday, March 12, 2010

A Serious Outline

So, with my novel, "As we greet with a kiss", I've always written scenes that come to mind or suit my writing fancy at the moment. A lot of these scenes won't nessesarily make it into the final draft, but they are scenes I envision at the moment. Also, it's good practice!

To be completely honest, I've never written a full outline. I haven't seen the benefits of it, even though I knew I probably would if I did. {Many authors don't do an outline and I thought I was one of them. Yea, I can be retarded.}  Until now.  I needed to "see" on paper where this was all going and what I needed to keep in the book and what to eliminate, or at least put to the side, so to speak. So, I broke down and made an outline.

Can I just say I feel better! Wow.

My sister, Jade, writes her outlines in chapter forms.  She'll actually write an outline for every chapter. 
She's awesome. I can totally see the benefits of this style! Why didn't I see the light before? hahahahaha

Currently, I have over 40,000 words of an approximate 90,000 word novel.  It's coming along nicely.

Update:

"Sam's Mission of  Mahem", my first children's book,  is complete!  Revisions have been made and my final draft is ready to go. I need to make sure the format is correct before I send it to publishing houses. Also, a query letter is on my mind. 
I found out that Deseret Book is accepting children books and that's who I'm going to try first. Truthfully, my dream is to be published by Deseret Book.

My next children's book,  "I Took a Snake to Sacrament Meeting", is in its early stages. I'm super excited to write this one.  It's going to be darling... well, at least in my mind it will be darling! ha

4 Royal Remarks:

Christine said...

So glad you're submitting your children's book. Be sure to let me know how it goes.

I visited Jade's blog this morning and left her a little message. I also became a follower. WOO HOO!!! I love making new friends. ALSO: I put her blog up on Facebook and encouraged all my writing buddies to pay her a visit and make her feel welcome. AND I added her to my links on my blog. Hope that helps. Thanks for letting me know about her and the intro. Can't wait to see you at Storymakers.

Shavonne said...

Oooh, that's exciting! I'd forgotten you were doing a children's book too! Hope it gets picked up right away!

Unknown said...

You are so cute. And writing an outline for every chapter isnt that strange is it. well I love your book outline and I want to talk to you about it. Call me.

Shantel said...

Congratulations on getting your childrens book done. And good for you on the novel! Not many poeple would even attempt it, so I say go for it! I hope everything goes well. I am afraid to say that I am not very disiplined when I write. (I can't spell at all) I am too lazy to do outlines - maybe it would help me. I can use all the help I can get!