So I'm back. Yep, back home from the job I took. It's a long story...I'll try to make it brief.
I went and found myself in:
the crazy cold,
in a crazy town,
with crazy foul-mouthed men,
at a crazy job that was unsafe and
going crazy from missing my family!
I was hired as an outside service elevator operator. I gave it my best shot and was in it for the long haul- even though I was in 20 degree weather {with wind-chill factors that I could hardly bare} all night long...every night...no day off.
The kicker was the actual elevator I was operating- an outside elevator made in the 70's. Imagine a huge orange metal cage that had grid for walls. To get it to work one has to pull a lever to move up or down the elevator to each floor {by the foot: 77 foot, 124 foot, 156 foot and 172 foot} and has to literally eye-ball the upcoming door to stop the elevator in time to get it flesh. {Not as easy as it looked...took some practice! I had fun giving those construction workers a ride of their lives. It was hilarious! For some reason nobody would ever give me the 5 tickets I asked for to get on the ride...}
Well, all was good until the gal who worked the day shift told me that the elevator started plummeting to the ground 3 weeks prior because the wind snapped a cable in half. {What?!!} The gal used the emergency brake and was ok.
Then one evening the inside elevator operator decided to trade with me for 3 hours to save me from a full night of cold. {That was great to be inside for a change!}
Well, I'm sorta glad she had that shift cause she ended up getting stuck on my elevator, with 2 construction workers, high in the air {remember, it's outside} for about an hour and half. They were out there in the wind, cold and no way to get down until the electrician could figure out a way. YIKES!
Ummmmm......I'm not afraid of work or getting dirty. I'm not afraid of heights and even though I loathe the cold I was willing to stick it out. But once I had fear coursing through my veins that these incidents could happen to me {my 5 children without a mother was racing through my mind as well} I had no problem telling my foreman that I refused to ever get back on that elevator again! hahahaha
My foreman and supervisor tried to get me in a different position there at the site- but all positions had been filled. Since I wasn't going to get on the elevator EVER AGAIN...and no other job was available...I came home.
I'm bummed and irritated that something else didn't work out for me in order to stay there. But all is well.
Of course, I still get paid for the days I did work and best of all I got to hang out with my sister and her children which was nice.
I'm so pleased to see my family and play with my children again. I missed them terribly!
What else was wonderful too, was that I got the opportunity to watch General Conference with my family this past weekend. I was sad that I would be working {sleeping in the day} and miss it entirely. I know I could always watch it later- but it's not the same.
This conference was very touching and spiritually uplifting. I feel this way every time I watch conference but this time I felt as if so many of the talks were spoken just for my ears alone-straight to me from heaven. It was wonderful!
Anyway, getting back to normalcy {if ever my life was 'normal' I'd like to know how. hehe} took me a couple of days since my sleep schedule was upside down. My world is as is was before, thank goodness! I seriously felt like I was in the Twilight Zone!





11 Royal Remarks:
Well, glad to have you back. better safe than sorry!!! enjoy the weather here!
Welcome Home!! I think you made a good choice. Does this mean you might be able to come to conference after all??? It would be great to see you.
I'm glad your safe and sound and with your family. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
Welcome home!!! I'm glad you chose to come home instead of risk your life!!! Your kids need you. Hugs
I'm glad you are safely home! That job sounds so scary and miserable!
So glad you are back at home safe and sound with your family. You will never look at an elevator the same way again! :-)
Oh my heck Autumn. I too am glad you didn't stay there. Sounds much too scary. I am sure you will be blessed for the effort!
what an experience! so does that mean you're coming to girls weekend?
Yeah!!! I'm so glad you're back!
YikeS! To be out in that cold (that probably sucked for you), working nights (double suck), and away from your family (triple...)no wonder you left! I would too
Wow...I was just swinging by in case you made a post, since you were going to be gone for a couple of months. That elevator story is fa-reaky! When you have little kids you think about those things. It is NOT worth the risk. Welcome back!
Post a Comment