»

Monday, September 8, 2008

Just human

I was reading a manuscript of a fictional novel of a lady who is writing her first novel. In her story there are two brothers, twins, who were born with extra powers:

One of the boys, when at the touch of another human, could hear the thoughts of the person less the emotions involved. The other boy could, at the touch of another human, could feel all their emotions less the thoughts involved.
The one brother who could read thoughts liked being able to touch others and read their thoughts. The one who could feel all the emotions did not like being touched because it stressed and burdened him too much, especially while trying to deal with his own changing emotions now that he was a teenager.

I got to thinking long and hard about these powers- how they would effect me if I were able to have them. {I know, my mind wonders all on its own sometimes...} How would I like or dis-like them? Even though I ran through all the scenarios as to why it would be good or cool to have either power...I concluded that I'd rather be just a normal human. No powers beyond what I already have. Boring.

The reason is that with every action their is responsibility as well as learning to keep it within the bounds of righteousness and not evil. I already struggle as a human with what I've been blessed and cursed with...why would I want another power to have to figure out, train and be responsible for? I guess, I'm over analyzing this- but sometimes my mind works that way.

Like the other day...I was laminating my little owls and got caught up in the way LAMINATING sounded and wanted to know who invented laminate. {I told you, I'm a nerd.} I just HAD to find out. Not that you're so much interested as I am- but here is what I found:

Inventor:

Lamination was invented by Dr. Morris M. Blum, a doctor of dental medicine in New York, in 1938. Although the field of applied dentistry today uses advanced dental laminates, the practice dates to the mid-1800s, when clear plastic resins were first used to cap and bond to the enamel surfaces of teeth. Dr. Blum, however, saw a different use for the thin shells of laminate material: the protection of photographs. In 1938, Dr. Blum laminated the first photograph -- one of his wife -- and lamination was born. To this day, the University of Minnesota recognizes his achievements with an annual Morris Blum Memorial Lectureship.

-------------------------------------------------------

On another note entirely...
Are you looking for new blogger buddies? I know I've made many new friends as well as getting better acquainted with those I already know through blogging. It's been great! Well, there's a cool chick who is a mommy of four girls, homeschools, is crafty and fun...go check her out...you'll be glad you made this new blogger buddy! Through my eyes

1 Royal Remarks:

The Girls' Mom said...

I totally agree that I wouldn't want either of those powers. I wouldn't want to have to feel others sorrow although the joy would be good and I don't want to know what others are thinking of me. Too much pressure! I have been thinking about this while reading the Midnight Sun draft.
I don't think it is nerdy at all to wonder about things, it is awesome, thanks for sharing about lamination. ALso thanks for playing my game!