»

Monday, August 25, 2008

Christmas shopping?

Yep, you read right.



It's August... and we've officially started our Christmas shopping! Warren and I bought our first gifts for Christmas 2008 on Saturday as we shopped together. We came home and hid a large box in our garage just for collecting gifts in.

With five children, extended family and several family friends, we've gotta get a head start to make it a glorious affair.
I like to think really long and hard about what I give for gifts. If I'm going to give a gift- it's gotta mean something. I make some and buy some.
Also, trying to budget out Christmas would be next to impossible if I waited. We won't go into ANY debt for Christmas.

I'm half way finished with the handmade Christmas cards we'll be sending out this year. I'm excited to be on top of them. Of course, I have a couple girlfriends who are making Christmas cards for their families too...so we turn it into a party while we make them.
Last year I just bought cards...so it's not like I do this every year. Just some years. I was up for making them this time around. {And they're SO stinkin' cute! Maybe I'll post it later...}

Do you shop early for Christmas?

How do you plan and budget it out?


10 Royal Remarks:

Sharon said...

i started mine too! i have "christmas tuesday" devoted for these kinds of things

Jewel Allen said...

*It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas* I am looking out the window, at this hundred-degree August day, as I listen with amazement to the song on your blog :-).

Our Relief Society has a Craft Saturday coming up soon. I reluctantly am thinking Christmas as I sign up for projects.

courtney said...

Wow, I think I remember you saying that you start early, which is sooooo smart!

I need to start now too!

Stephanie Humphreys said...

I used to get my Christmas shopping done quite early in the year but I find as the kids get older it seems to get harder. I don't know what they want and they don't know what they want. Combine that with an extremely limited budget and we get pretty creative around here. I usually manage to get all the gifts done by the end of November. I don't like the crowds in the stores during December.

Anonymous said...

in my mind I always plan it out. BUt rarely do I actually do it. Unless I find something on sale that is perfect for one of the kids. But I mostly wait until October to really start thinking about it

The Girls' Mom said...

AHHH this post just freaked me out. I'm just adjusting to school starting and now more work!! I like sharon's idea though, devoting a day to it.

Kristi said...

I totally shop early. In fact every summer when I visit my family I deliver christmas gifts so I save on the shipping. Call me cheap, but it works. :)

Shavonne said...

Good reminder! I need to start looking into Christmas gifts... It's so much better to spend a little each month, than to spend one big, depleting chunk!

Bandanamom said...

People that actually do this amaze me. My mom always does that and I just can't get into the spirit of it until Thanksgiving is over. I'm often shopping like crazy on December 23rd, but I love it.

I Am Boymom said...

I'm a last minute shopper. I usually have ideas floating aorund all year long, so that by Christmas, I know exactly what i want to get. Plus...I do a lot of my shopping online now. Sooooo much easier!