»

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Breaking Dawn discussion

If you've read "Breaking Dawn" by Stephenie Meyer and have a few thoughts I'd enjoy reading them. Beware: There are MAJOR spoilers below. If you haven't finished...walk away now. hehe




From what I understand in Stephenie's interview with Good Morning America : "Breaking Dawn" is the final novel from 'Bella's point of view'.

Stephenie reported-

"It's the end of Bella's story. She's not going to tell the story anymore." {The last chapter of "Breaking Dawn" read "The End".} and she also said-
"I don't know that I'm completely finished with the characters."


With that said- I'm thrilled with the way this series ended. It was very good, perfect in almost every way. If the books ended here and Stephenie were never to write about these characters again- I'd be happy with the way it ended.

If the books do continue- I'm hoping they will continue with Jacob and Renesmee and that Carlisle's coven will be the next "Volturi" sort of speak. I'd like to read of their defeat against the Volturi and see the Olympic Coven reign.


What do you think?



As for 'Breaking Dawn'...

I balled like a baby when Jacob came to see Bella and that Edward surprised her. That was perfect.
I was shocked Bella could get pregnant. I just assumed that she couldn't since two vampires couldn't conceive- I assumed it wouldn't happen. I'm happy it happened. I thought when Bella was feeling sick- before she realized she was pregnant- I thought that in a fluke way she was turning into a vampire from making love to Edward. I'm glad I was wrong. {But a pretty cool way to become a vampire is you ask me.}


I am so pleased Bella finally became a vampire! I love Bella finding her self and strength in being a vampire. I really like the super powers Bella has! I enjoyed that she wasn't a crazed newborn and that she can shield others. I'm so glad that she's a mother, as well. I saw early on that Jacob would imprint with Renesmee- which I think is cool. At first I thought it odd but cool non -the- less. I am so happy Jacob is free from the binding love he had for Bella.


I was relieved and glad that Charlie was able to be in Bella's world again. I can't imagine Bella living without her daddy. Though, I thought it unrealistic that Charlie had the "need to know basis only" attitude. It seemed a little out of place for me. Charlie and Sue is a great match and the irony in the father of a vampire and the mother of a werewolf is awesome.


I also knew Alice was up to something instead of leaving forever. I knew she'd end up coming back. The Olympic coven wouldn't be the same without Alice!


I'm ecstatic Bella and Edward ended up together!!!!! Them tying the knot, their honeymoon, the two becoming parents, her turning into a vampire {now on equal ground with Edward}, the two being able to make whoppi for hours and hours on end, the fact that they were willing to die together {since Renesmee had Jacob} and finally them ending up safe and happily ever after. Perfection!


What do you think?

6 Royal Remarks:

Sharon said...

i totally think that there will be another book, from jacobs and nessie's point of view, and theat the volturi will come back, they will not be so quick to loose their power. i think first they will go after those covens that protected the cullens- so they won't have any allies. i don't think that the cullens will be the next "rule enforcing" coven, because carlisle doesn't like violence... i did like the book, i was a little disappointed that there was no real fight scene or struggle (either with the cullens, or being a new vamp) there was no real conflict... but i still LOVED it:)

Miche said...

I hope you don't think it's odd that I am commenting, but you commented on some of my artwork once and when I checked you out and saw you were a fan of twilight, I have been checking back and forth, and had leave something on this topic. I absolutely loved the book. I went in to it hoping that things would end how I wanted them too, and Stephanie, being the genius that she is, far surpassed even that. I found myself laughing out loud many times while riding the bus home, like when Bella found out that Jacob had imprinted on her daughter. Priceless! The end of the book was perfect, more than I could have hoped for, but only left me wanting more. I am not ready to say goodbye to Bella. That may sound odd, but I love the character as much as anyone else does. Who couldn't? I could read about her and the rest of the gang for the rest of my life and never get sick of it. I am seriously sad to think that I might not be able to. So real quick some of my favorite parts: The wedding and the honeymoon, her little nudger (my wife is pregnant and I am so going to use that), Jacob getting his happy ending, Belly becoming a newborn and all her cool new powers, and her ending with Edward. All in all, the whole thing. I couldn't put it down. Thanks for letting me share my two cents!

Christine said...

Autumn,

I had to have the book Friday night as well and had the whole thing devoured by Sunday afternoon. Both my son and my husband knew I'd turn into the new Bella and rip their heads off if they bothered me, so found other things to do. I was so grateful. I also can't wait till Stephanie surprises us with another volume. I'm still curious how Bella tells her mom. Maybe the next book will be more about Charlie and Sue. Who knows. Anyway. Love, Love, Loved it!!!

Hugs

C. Michelle Jefferies said...

I was severely disapointed in the last three books of the series. (Even more by "The Host" but that is another topic.)

Stephenie pulled me in and I was facinated with the first book, What an awesome premise and story. There was a huge setup for lots of plot twists and conflict.

Yet, like J K Rowling IMHO she dropped the ball when she became famous. Her writing style isn't bad, she is a good strory teller, but plot? There is none. It was just a story to wrap up the loose ends she created (and could have done much better with) and fulfill her fantasys.

She uses Deus Ex Machina to solve her problems instead of writing a creative solution to the problems her characters get into. (Yeah I know I used the word problem twice)

By the time that Eclipse ended I shut the book with a sense of unhknown disturbance, which I later figured out was my reaction to Bella and Edwards dysfunctional and co-dependant relationship.

This is the issue that disturbs me the most. This book is written for teens and distributed and marketed as a YA novel, I don't want my 14 YO DD to think that what Bella and Edward has that passes for a relationship is normal. It is not!

And the ammount of SEX!!!!! in the fourth book has me worried that these young girl fans are getting way more than they bargained for in the realm of ADULT relationships in a book that claims to be a YOUNG ADULT book.

Michelle

Josi said...

I haven't read it, but I'm planning to in a week or so. I don't mind spoilers though, in fact it gives me things to look for. I do agree with Michelle in that there are aspects that are disturbing--I've never like Bella all that much and I feel if Edward really loved her he'd find a way to free her from him, but that said, I still enjoy the story a great deal.

Autumn said...

Wow- we all have different views and expectations from this series. It's interestig to me to read all your thoughts and such.

I'm especially excited that Miche commented and is a proud "MAN reader"! haha
That's just cool. :)