There's something tender about a mother taking her child or children to school and leaving them behind on that first day. It pulls at most mother's heart strings and I'm no different.
Even though three of my five children have been in school before, I still got chocked up as I walked each of my now four school- aged children to their classrooms, especially hovering over my kindergartner, this past Monday morning.
It didn't help that I was standing next to a balling 'first time mom', who was taking an excessive amount of photos of her kindergartner {which I can respect} that was standing in line for class, acting as confident as ever. With one glance at this mother- I cried even harder!
I know how she felt. Sending my oldest to school for the first time was the hardest of all. But tears seem to come from nowhere every first day of school, every year, as I leave my little people behind in the care of their teachers- no matter what number child it is.
Here is a few photos of our first day of school. I haven't had time to scrapbook them yet- but when I do I'll share.


So after school- my daughter came home with an extra school supply added to her list that I wasn't expecting.
A clipboard?
I thought she just wanted one because maybe someone in her class had one. Nope.
After speaking with her teacher- sure enough the students need a clipboard. Apparently, it's for special occasions such as when the kids get to work on their papers in small groups on the floor or when they go on nature walks and need to write down things.
Anyway- with me being the Scrapaholic {with a capital S} I am- my daughter simply couldn't go to class with any plain ole clipboard! No way.
So...she and I had a fun time decorating her clipboard with scrapbook paper, modge podge and ribbon. {Any excuse to use my Cricut!} I couldn't put as much ribbon around the clip itself as I would have liked because it would get in the way of its daily functionality. Regardless, Emmalese and I think it turned out adorable.
Here is our project:





13 Royal Remarks:
Love the clipboard! Very cute.
I get teared up too, watching them get so big and going off to school. It's tough. Your kids look so big!
i remeber my favorite part of the first day of school was coming home, mom would be sitting in the yard waiting for us... i bet i'll be a bally baby when jayners starts school
The clipboard is sooo cute! That is a really good idea and it ensures that no one mixes her up with someone else.
I am looking forward to my kids starting school, but I will tear up, I know it. I teared up the first time Kenzie and the primary sung for mothers day. I will tear up when she gives her first talk in primary.
My kids are old enough that only the youngest wants me to take her to school the first day. It takes a few minutes to walk around the corner with them and take the youngest to her classroom. I imagine by next year, they won't want me to walk with them at all. I always have that little moment when I sit at home and the house is empty for the first time all summer and wonder what to do with all the quiet.
I love the clipboard. Wish you were my next door neighbor so you could show me all the cool scrapbooking skills you've learned. Maybe I would catch up on mine then :)
Not me. No way. Neither of my kids wouldn't even think of asking me to take them to school. As my soon-to-be-sixth grader put it, "The bus ride is the only good part of the school day."
That school bus can't come soon enough for me. One more week. I think I can make it. I think I can! I think I can!
OK, so maybe once they're gone and the house is quite I'll get a little misty. Maybe.
I like their uniforms. I wish our schools would do that then there would be no competition when it comes to who has the coolest clothes..... Any excuse to wear purple, then I am there... School starts tomaroow for Liz and then Wed for the other girls.
Just me and ADDi at home this year.
i love the clip board! I am going to have to make some of those, Adorable!!
That clipboard is very fun! Everyone will be envious and want to steal it, but can't because her name is on it! :)
School starts here on Wed. I have never gone to the school with my kids. They have always gotten on to the bus and driven away. (They came back again...and again...and again.)
Cute kids!
Once again, your e-mail address hates me and returned my note. Here's the skinny -- you should have gotten the book in the mail. I have requested that another one be sent to you and then we'll be back in business.
Why doesn't your e-mail like me??
O M GOSH Autumn!!! I am so glad you found me Whoo hoo! I think about you and Warren all the time. How are you? Your children are all grown up. Wow and does your little guy look like Warren or what??? You look amazing as alwyas. Do you still come home often?? How is AZ?? I am a huge Twilight Fan.......It is really ridiculous actually. I didn't know I could read and enjoy it until I found these books, now that I have read them each 3-4 times it is really beyond obsessive I think. I love your cute clipboard. I am totally a scrapbooker and am glad to hear that other people send their kids to school with things they have had made craftycute. Jeremy thinks I am such a nut for doing that.
Any hoo, we have to keep in touch. Do you remember when we broke in to your house and toilet papered it. That was so awesome! Miss you! - love, jen
Those are fantastic photos!
xxxx
I cannot beleeve how big your kids have gotten. I swear, Connor and Tanner could almost be brothers! Funny that Chris' brohter married Joyce, huh? Small world! I love the clipboard, it is so beautiful. You really are a talented scrapbooker. The kids look great in the uniforms, I am diggin on the whole uniform concept, makes school shopping so much easier!
What a cute clipboard!! I am not a scrapbooker, and I am awed by creative-types like you :-)
Post a Comment