

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which I'm a member of, holds a general conference twice a year - once in the Spring and then in the Fall- in Salt Lake City. This four session conference is broadcast throughout the world over two days. Here in Phoenix we can watch it on TV. There are also Priesthood, Relief Society and Young Women sessions that are broadcast only to meeting houses throughout the world. At these conferences- our prophet, his apostles and several other leaders - both men and women- share talks and testimonies of the gospel of of Jesus Christ.
So this is what my family is doing today and tomorrow- watching conference. I just love conference time! It seems as if my soul is parched just before each conference and afterward it's thirst has been quenched. Filling up on the spiritual guidance that the Lord's servants are sharing with us, under His guidance, refreshes and makes me feel complete.
I wanted to share some of my thoughts from a few of the talks that touched my heart and mind. Nothing is a quote because I simply can't write fast enough! But this is what my heart heard.

Session 1 thoughts:
When the sustaining votes came for President Thomas Spencer Monson as our prophet, seer and revelator- our second counselor President Uctdorf {apostle} asked all the different auxiliaries to stand individually for their confirming votes as well as a grand congregation at the end.
I thought it was neat that he chose to direct the congregation this way. It made the sustaining vote more personal, I think. An overwhelming feeling of peace and love spread through my body as I sustained President Monson here in my little living room, far from Salt Lake. The feelings of being apart of our Father in heaven's grand assembly reassured me of the true and living work of the gospel here on Earth.
I thought it was neat that he chose to direct the congregation this way. It made the sustaining vote more personal, I think. An overwhelming feeling of peace and love spread through my body as I sustained President Monson here in my little living room, far from Salt Lake. The feelings of being apart of our Father in heaven's grand assembly reassured me of the true and living work of the gospel here on Earth.I enjoyed what the Elder who had the Australian accent. sorry, I can't remember his name. Whoops. I will have to come back and correct. Anyway, he gave a quote of President Monson. Something to the effect that 'our youth need less critiques and more role models'. I believe this to be so true. Ones self is already a harsh critique and to have more positive reinforcements around our youth can only make them stronger and happier.
Elder Wirthlin {apostle} spoke on our meeting houses being a place for everyone. He said that to his knowledge there were no signs on our meeting house doors that state ' Restricted Entrance. Perfect People Only."
Our meetings are for all who seek the Lord and want to better themselves. All of us who meet are imperfect- but are there striving to become stronger, better people.
Our meetings are for all who seek the Lord and want to better themselves. All of us who meet are imperfect- but are there striving to become stronger, better people. I really liked Elder Rasban's talk on gathering our special and spiritual experiences as a treasure. That we grow from these experiences and can call upon them for strength.
President Eyring, first counselor to President Monson and apostle, admonished us to look at our individual lives. To reassess them and come up with ways to better ourselves through prayer and faith. To seek forgiveness where need be. I was touched at his own experiences he shared that have helped him to know of the Lords work and gospel.
Session 2 thoughts:
I really loved President Oaks {apostle} talk about our testimony being a process. He said scientific methods don't yield spiritual knowledge. By the spirit, the Holy Ghost, we will have the spiritual to sustain a testimony. We can know for ourselves through prayer to our Father and the Holy Ghost will witness it to us in our hearts and minds.
Also, it shared that it is vital for us to share our testimonies. When we start 'preaching' instead
of bearing testimony then that's when out testimonies end. We need to share it not preach it.
My most favorite thing that was said in this conference was that we need to teach our children to measure their progress and growth in this life not only through academics, or physical ways but by their growth in testimonies as well. {I love that!!}
President Hale {apostle} touched me by reminding me that God and His son, Jesus Christ, do hear and answer our prayers. They do know each one of us individually, by name. This can and will be revealed to us through obedience and faith.
Elder Lund helped me understand better about the spirit whisperings. The spirit whisper to us because he speaks to us through our minds and hearts- not our ears. The Lord can draw near to us through the spirit. We need to eliminate impurities in our minds and hearts in order to allow the spirit in. We choose what we let in. The Lord is there to help us choose wisely.
President Perry {apostle} made me think a little. He posed the question on what does eternal life look like to you? Imagine what this is and focus on it- when we do we will act differently. We'll have more faith in action and more of a broken heart and contrite spirit. We won't be just living in the here and now, but we will have more of an eternal perspective.
There were several other speakers- but these I shared above is what spoke to me.
Tomorrow is another wonderful day of learning- I will post then...
Session 3 thoughts:
I misplaced my notes from this session! grrrrr
When I find them I'll share my thoughts.
Session 4 thoughts:
When you snooze you lose. No, that's not what I learned...that's what happened! I ended up sleeping through this last session. I feel like a heel.





6 Royal Remarks:
I like that you got so much our of conference! Here are what my thoughts were...I wish I could hear the speaker. I guess I'll have to read it in May.
Yay for conference! I love it because I can multi-task: listen to the word of the Lord, and craft at the same time! I love being able to listen to it at home now on the internet.
Thanks for the thoughts. Very nice ideas to follow through with.
Thanks for sharing this, Autumn. It was a great recap.
I sort of slept through a lot of it . . . not that I'm a heathen, I'm just really tired . . .
Maybe we should buy the Conference CD's and play them at times when we're suffering from a bit of insomnia. There is something about the rythm of a General Authority's voice that can lull you to sleep!
Post a Comment