Yesterday, during Sunday School, our ward Extraction Specialist {geneology person} presented a lecture on the the newest technology our church has on their website for geneology. {I am referring to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. LDS or Mormons is also how we are known.}
The result: We are now able to go onto the church website, add names of our kindred dead, edit these names {if you were the one who submitted them} and combine other information with what others may have submitted, connect families and many, many other cool options. The entire data base of what the church already has for geneolgy is also on this site and so you can double check if the person you want to submit has already been submitted by someone, and if so, you can check if their temple work has been completed or not.
The wonderful thing is that you can PRINT these names right from your own personal computer and take them to the temple for work! Oh, happy day!
In order to do all the things I've mentioned above... you have to log onto the church website, type in your name, your baptism confirmation date & your member number {Can you say Fort Knox!}
Since I am a Primary teacher {Sunday School for children} I didn't get to sit in on the whole lecture but was able to have someone sit with my class the last 15 minutes of closing excersises so I could attend at least some of it. I learned enough to navigate myself somewhat but I may have to ask for an in home tutor if I can't figure the rest out. ;)
Remember my post about the 71,000 names I've recently been given from one of my best friends? So guess what I get to do now... manually type in every one one of these names and submit them to the church website. This is going to take quit some time! As I am working I will be printing off these names, attending the temple for them, and those names I can not do the temple work for I will be recruiting help!
I'm a mother of 5, need I say more?- so this is going to take some juggling of schedules and such but I'm SO, SO, SO thrilled- beyond words- for this opportunity!





3 Royal Remarks:
I missed that lecture about genealogy but it sounds awesome. I will have to go and figure it out. cool!!!!
WHat a great thing!
That is fabulous! I can't wait to check it out. That is going to make life so much easier!!
Post a Comment