My sister, Tami, and I {along with our two littlest} drove up to Show Low, AZ to be with our mom who had a scheduled gall bladder removal/surgery last Monday morning. The drive is not too bad- 3 1/2 hours.
Once we got to the hospital, Tami stayed outside with the kids so I could be with mom while she checked in and prepped for surgery. I was soon aware of a drastic roll change.
I remember the many times I have been at the Dr. office for check- ups, shots, or in the emergency room for something, or when I had surgery for my tonsils to be removed... and my mom always being there with me. She was always the silent support and a column of love for me. It was always comforting knowing she was right by my side. I have never been in a situation like this where I was by her side.
I could see in her face the same worry and terror I felt when I was about to go for a procedure... 'the unknown territory'. She is mom, why would she worry or be scared?
Ahhh, then it hit me. Mom is human too! Duh.
I suppose I never thought of her being scared or worried in a situation like this. It was a wake up call for me and also made me grateful I was there for her just like she has been there for me so many times.
Mom's surgery went well. The Dr. found that her gall bladder was twisted. That would make it hurt all on its own!
Tami and I switched... I stayed with the little ones while Tami went to mom's side for recovery at the hospital, her check- out and pharmacy for her prescriptions.
Mom's recovery is right on track, though she is very sore. She has good pain meds, which is helpful. Tami and I stayed with her at a huge cabin that she is temporarily staying at until her apartment comes through she is about to rent. It was such a beautiful, luxurious vacation home. It made it comfortable for us all. Our mom expressed how glad she was that Tami and I came to her side. It really meant a lot to her.
Tami, I, and the little ones drove home Wednesday afternoon. Here at home... with all these kids running around {8 total} it is definitely not as peaceful as it was staying at the cabin, helping mom! But my bed was a welcome commodity I took for granted.
Now back to the normal grind.
As noted, Tami and her three children are still living with us. Things haven't gone as fast as we all hoped with her getting a job. {She has tirelessly tried}
It looks like the soonest they will be moving out is the middle of December. Though, this may not happen. It's been very hard on all of us but we know there is a need for them to be here and we are willing to sacrifice for them because we love them. Sacrifices aren't easy but necessary.





1 Royal Remarks:
Roll change is pretty interesting! It is kind of nice to be able to finally give back for all the things that your mom and dad do for you! Glad that you can help out!
Post a Comment