Sunday evening turned out to be a complete 360* of what we imagined or planned!
It started with the purchase of a new car for Warren- at an auction on Saturday. We wouldn't get the title for this car until Monday but we had the car. As you can imagine we didn't have the car registered by Sunday either. No plates, no tags, no title. Only a bill of sale in the glove box.
Sunday rolls around and we have a meeting at the church at 5 pm for Conner {11 years old} and us parents. Conner had been asked to give a talk at this meeting. Also, at 6 pm, there was a meeting for just Warren. Since Conner and I weren't staying at this second meeting- Warren and I decided to go ahead and have Warren drive his new {and illegal} car to this meeting while I drove in our van so Conner and I could leave after the first meeting. {What can I say- we're risk takers.} Conner decided to go along with Warren in the new car.
I get to the church and waited. And waited. And waited. The Bishop didn't start the meeting yet- waiting for Conner. I was beginning to worry that Warren and Conner were stranded because the 'new' car wasn't so reliable. Then I get a phone call- it's Warren. What he said next is so far fetched and so far from anything I could of dreamt he'd say...
"Hi dear, I just got pulled over for having no plates. And they're going to arrest me!"
What?!!!
"The cop ran my name and apparently I have a warrant for my arrest."
What?!!!
"A ticket that I got 3 years ago- I never finished paying it off. I guess they put out a warrant for my arrest."
What?!!!
{I'm thinking this is stupid. Why would the law take their precious time away from finding REAL criminals then to arrest a guy who payed only half his ticket...3 years previous, mind you.}
I let Warren know I'd be there in a just a minute. {they were just down the street from the church building.} I pulled Lee, a family friend and member of the Bishopric, to the side and told him what was going on. I asked him to follow me down to Warren and take Conner with him back to the church so Conner could give his talk.
We drove quickly to the scene of the crime to find Warren and Conner still in the car- but Conner balling his little eyes out. He was so upset. Lee and I whisked him away to Lee's car and tried calming him down. I told Conner he didn't have to go to the meeting or give his talk if he didn't want to. {If you saw what condition he was in- you'd say the same thing.} But to my complete surprise- Conner decided to go to the meeting anyway and give his talk. {What an awesome son!!!}
As Lee was driving away- Warren was frisked, pockets out, and handcuffed. Yep, the real thing! He was wearing his Sunday best. White shirt, tie, slacks and all. {Unfortunately, I found out later that Conner saw all this from the back of Lee's car.}
As for Conner- he went with Lee and cried the rest of the way to church. Lee gave him a pep talk and calmed him down some. Conner did indeed give his talk and from the reports he did a wonderful job. He held his emotions together. Once he sat down he lost it again. Lee took him out in the hall to calm him down again. I'm so grateful Lee was there for Conner!
I went to the station to bail Warren out. The bail was $240. Yikes. The good thing is that we can use that money toward his ticket/court fees later on. Warren was frisked, finger printed, picture taken and booked- the whole kit and caboodle.
I was told it could be between 2 hours and 7 hours before Warren could be released.
Holy Cow! I suppose the jail isn't in any hurry at all.
I waited outside the jail, in our van, for him the whole time. Warren was in jail for about 4 hours- just a little less. It was great to see inmate # P305633 walk out of the jail house and into my arms!
Our children were being cared for by a couple of good friends of ours- I was so glad they were taken care of and I didn't have to worry about them. {I adore my friends. I have the best friends in the world!}
Oh, what a night! One we won't forget anytime soon...especially Conner. {Poor guy.}
{Can you believe you can be arrested for not paying a traffic ticket? Our judicial system has its priorities all mixed up!} And just for the record...NO, Warren has never been arrested before in his life and neither have I!





7 Royal Remarks:
ohhhh, my heart was breaking for Conner. I could not figure out where you were, or why he was crying. this makes some sense now. poor kid. he really did do a GREAT JOB on his talk. we had 'cough cough'to leave right 'cough' away, i 'cough' hate being "cough cough' sick. so i am glad you had help.
cough cough.
if this helps, my dad was pulled over on Father's Day one year, he was in the bishopbric, and the officer felt he had not come to a complete stop. he was about 100 feet away from the chapel too. so most of the ward saw this!!! sooo much fun. and i do agree, some of the 'law' priorities are WRONG. but i think they are looking for ways make MONEY!!
Holy cow!! This is such an outrageous story. I wonder how many murderers got away while they were roughing Warren up.
Oh my Gosh! That is so scary and also kind of funny but not really but kindof is still! The story will be funny in the future but I am so sorry!
Good for Conner to be willing to give his talk anyways. Such a good boy!
Holy Cow that is just insane. Poor Conner. But I'm sure in a few years this will be a story you all will laugh about. But until then I'm very sorry.
Holy Cow!! What a crazy story! They weren't in the middle of filming an episode of COPS were they? I can't believe what a big man Conner was with that, but how hard for him to see his Dad that way. What did Warrren think of Jail life? Did he get his suit dirty?
That is awful that Connor had to witness that. Poor kid! Kudos to him for going on with his talk though. Moral of the story: pay ALL your parking tickets! I wonder how long the warrant would have been there before it fell off his record? Especially for parking tickets!!! It is the end of the month. Cops have a quota to make, just not Warren's lucky day I guess.
PS: it is Rae but is logged in as Andy.
Oh! I can't believe it! Glad we have good friends! Super glad you were near enough to go get Connor!!!
Love ya!
Post a Comment