I'm not a very organized person. In fact, I am the most unorganized person I know! haha {not really...I know a least one other so I know I'm not alone.}
I'd love to be organized! I dream of it really. But, it hasn't happened yet.
{Where's my fairy godmother when I need her?}
When it comes to having my children do their chores-I make a list and mark them off as they complete their tasks {most of the time}. I'm not a mother who is opposed to having her children clean everyday. Sometimes I wonder if I have them clean too much and too often. But I won't keep my home clean all by myself just for 5 short people to turn it topsy turvy in a matter of a few minutes! {Plus I truly believe in giving children work to help make them better people.}
To make myself more organized I came up with a chore chart to be permanently displayed. I picked colors that match my home decor.
Hopefully, I won't have to write lists so much and at any given time I can glance to see who needs to do what or if they've completed a chore or not.
Below are snapshots of my homemade chore chart:




Making this chart took a lot longer then I thought. It took me a full week of working on this off and on to complete! grrrrr
But, it's DONE and I'm very happy with it. {And so is my family.}
I had to use my head to come up with the right chart for our family. I chose to use one of those large display boards {you know the ones used for Science Fairs} since they are thicker, sturdier and bigger then a regular poster board. Other supplies I used were: scrapbook paper, ribbon, lots of Mod Podge, ink, paint, Velcro, several sheets of the Clear Label Paper and Self Laminating Paper.
This is a 'Daily To Do Chart'. The children's names are on tags that have Velcro on the back so they can rotate with another column of jobs every week.
For now, Conner and Parker will rotate between themselves and Emmalese and Spencer will rotate between themselves. Tucker will keep his little jobs just to get used to doing chores. He's not old enough to rotate yet.
As each chore is completed they will add a little owl to mark it off. Also, at the end of each long column is a place to add a little owl for every day of the week when or if they complete their jobs for that day. If they get a full week of completing all their jobs they get to choose different prizes.
{Shown below are movable job rectangles with Velcro on the back in order to rotate}
{Shown below is a little laminated owl with Velcro on the back to use as a 'check off ' as each chore is completed}

If you noticed- I have 7 darling owls across the top of my chart for decoration. Each represents a member of our family. I just thought that was a cute touch. And having the mini owls on Velcro to mark off a job is too cute for words, I think!
So, you may be asking "Why OWLS"?
Thought you'd never ask. Let me tell ya...
It all started when my happy sister-in-law, Kim, posted on her blog
about an owl who decided to take up residence in a tree in her yard. It's a cool looking owl, too. Then her younger sister, Sharon, {also my sister-in-law. I currently have
9 S.I.L's} who happens to be a
flawless seamstress- decided to make her baby girl a
super, duper cute dress with an owl on it and posted it on her blog. Go look at both of these posts. Go ahead. I'll wait.......................
Back? Good.
Ok, so I thought I would make something with an owl on it to keep up this little theme we have going on. Ahhhhh, isn't that sweet? I know I'm a bit cheesy...but that's me.
Now I'm going to tag {or rather
challenge} my
other sister-in-law,
Shaina, who is a cute, crafty, goddess herself, to make something with an owl on it! Go, girl...I wanna see what you come up with! {and we'll be watching}
Then challenge someone else in our family to make something with an owl on it. :)
10 Royal Remarks:
Very cute! I wish I were more organized too. People seem to think I am but I can't figure that out. Let us know how the chart works.
I love it, I will have to analyze it to make it my own. I love the owl challenge idea very cute! Awesome job, its gorgeous.
oh, it did turn out really cute! and so practical, those are always the best decorations. i love all the vecro! i was wondering how you were going to rotate everyone. it looks really cute
So cute! I love the chore chart and I love the little Owls! The chore chart that I use is amazing! My kids actually ask to do it everyday. Weird hn? you can check it out at www.myrewardboard.com There is a 2 week free trial. My kids love it!
cute chore chart. I want to grow up and be just like you lady!
I really like the chore chart! My kids aren't old enough to actually have a chore chart, though they do do little jobs around the house for me.
I want to make one of those in a couple of years.
Nice job, there is something about a clean house that just makes you be a happier person. I feel sickish, or sad if my house is really messy, so yeah, chores are a good thing!
That looks really good, Autumn. I can see that it was a lot of hard work!
...I'm thinking about the owl..
We do a chore chart, too, but not as pretty as yours :-) I love it.
Wow wow wow. Of course, when you set out to do something, it can't be anything less than fab, that's just the way you roll...
I love the chore chart! I can probably beat you in the unorganized competition, maybe that can be a new Olympic Sport, I'm pretty sure I could establish a new world record without even trying. I may copy your chore chart concept, but probably minus the owls. Mine are into Star Wars and Paleontology.
Post a Comment