»

Sunday, March 23, 2008

Trip Log

We had a surprisingly decent drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas on Wednesday, March 19th {mostly because we gave our children the #1 rule of not asking 'Are we there yet?" or anything like unto it!} Our family stopped off at the famous Hoover Dam to take pictures and look around. Then onto Vegas we went and got to Circus Circus in the late afternoon. We've never been to this Hotel/Casino before and boy was it a shock we when were among a sea of other visitors just trying to check in! The lobby was FULL and it took over an hour just to check in! The reason for the climax of tourists is because it's Spring Break, at least this is what we were told by an employee. We had a blast playing, and playing and playing at Circus Circus with our kids.

Thursday morning we visited the MGM Grand and enjoyed the Lion habitat. It was awesome to see these majestic animals so close. The M&M store was cool, too. In the afternoon we headed north to St. George, UT and went straight to the temple there. What a beautiful and interesting temple this is. The history {which I personally have been reading up on} was repeated nearly word for word by a very eager and happy visitors center worker. We had to just up and leave an hour later! And of course, as always, I had my camera to take photos.

We arrived in Highland, UT in the late evening. We have been at James and Melissa's {Warren's brother} home since. The kiddos had a fun time Friday and Saturday while I attended the FANTASTIC LDStorymakers conference. I left at 6 am both mornings and didn't get back until late into the night. Thankfully, the conference was only about a 15 minute drive from where we are staying. I learned so very much at this conference- so much that it feels like my brain is in knowledge shock. The catered meals were delicious and the best part was meeting several authors I blog with and new ones I hadn't before corresponded with. My writing skills will improve immensely because of the training I've received. The last night of the conference, Saturday night, was the 1st annual Whitney Awards Gala. It was a ticketed event separate from the registered conference admission. {The Whitney Awards are like the Emmy Awards but for LDS writers.} I was able to meet, shake hands and get author signatures from so many talented and well known authors such as Dean Hughes, Anita Stansfield, Jennie Hansen, Brandon Mull, James Dashner--- and the list goes on and on. It was awesome to say the least. I was bummed that my friend, Stephenie Meyer, didn't make it. She was a nominee for her book Eclipse. Steph couldn't make it because she had a contracted engagement to attend to. Unfortunately, she didn't win a Whitney Award like I thought she would! I will post about the winners of the Whitney Awards later.

I think one of the most exciting happenings of my weekend {besides rubbing shoulders and chatting with so many wonderful authors- now that rocked!} was that one of the authors I met blogging, but didn't met in person until the conference, Candace Salima, has asked me to personally meet with her this week and continue on with correspondence via phone when I return to Arizona to help me with my book! Candace Salima, my personal mentor! Oh, you have NO idea how thrilled I am!!!!! She is very interested in what I am writing about and looks forward to working with ME. WOW! Not only is Candace an accomplished writer, but she is very sassy and opinionated like me. She's a really cool gal and I can't wait to hang out with her Tuesday. {Another cool thing about Candace is that her best friend is the wonderful Marie Osmond.}

This Easter Sabbath was very nice. Church didn't start until 11am {what a relief it was since I was dead tired form coming home late Saturday night} and all the talks were uplifting. After we got home and ate lunch we sent all children {9 in all} on a hunt for their baskets. In the late afternoon we went to the home of Melissa's mother for dinner and an egg hunt. We had a super time and loved the Navajo Tacos {Fry bread} with all the fixings for dinner. Once back at home, and the kids ready for bed, we had family counsel and prayer. We decided to go to the Mt. Timpanogas temple for FHE tomorrow night. I can hardly wait to see this temple. James and Melissa were married there in 1997 but I couldn't attend their wedding since I was about to birth Conner and wasn't allowed to fly. Warren was able to make it to his brother's wedding. I think it will be neat to go see it and have FHE there on the lawn. James' house is only about 5 minutes from this temple. Seeing it all light up at night when we've driven by has been breathtaking.

On Wednesday our family will be touring Temple Square {The Salt Lake Temple}. Afterward me and the kids will be heading out to Tooele, UT to stay at the home of my good friend Bethany for a couple of days. It will be great to see her and her family again. Friday night I will be going to stay in cabins with Melissa and other ladies in her ward for a celebration of the Relief Society birthday. It's a 'back to girls camp night'! Songs, food, skits and all that fun jazz. We will be spending the rest of next weekend with more family members. We plan on leaving next Monday for home. {I can't wait to sleep in MY bed!}

If I get a chance to blog again while here in Utah I will. If not- I will when we get home.

PS: Celeste Goetz--email me your phone number. We need to hook up!}

8 Royal Remarks:

Shaina said...

Sounds like a great time already! Glad you got your menntor.

Arlyn said...

Wow.. That sounds exciting and exhausting at the same time! I hope you're taking a lot of pictures to scrap with!

Shavonne said...

It sounds like you're having a fabulous time- I didnt' know you were writing a novel! That is so cool. Can't wait to read more about it!

Don said...

It was great to meet you, Autumn. The conference really was fun, and that's just awesome Candace has taken such an interest in you and your story. It really is quite an interesting concept, and I look forward to reading more of it.

I hope the rest of your trip goes well for you!

Rae's World said...

I am glad you all are having a great time!!! Enjoy your time~

Pendragon Inman said...

candance is an awsome lady. the two of you will get along great. and it was so cool to meet you, girly! (and really, really, people... i was there. Candance was all over her stuff :) You're sooooo cool, Queeny :) did you know there was another lady from phoenix who came too?

anyways, you'll have to keep us posted on what candance says. then the rest of us 'unworthy' subjects can have a glimse of the light. :)

laters
-paulette

Me said...

Hugs! I am so super proud of you! Dream Big, Believe and Pray!

Have fun!! Tif

Rachelle Christensen said...

It was great to see you at the conf. I love your hair! Good luck with everything.